Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Loving for the Greater Good?

In reading from my blog roll today, I came across some posts by Cassi and Myst regarding the school of thought that it is a greater form of love to relinquish a child than to parent them.  Their posts were sparked by a quote from another site that read, "If I loved my child any less, I'd still have him with me."  Needless to say, from the perspective of a woman who has relinquished, this is going to dig up some memories and emotions. 

As I read through their posts, I found myself identifying with a lot of the same feelings, but I had a little different spin on it, as well.  I thought I'd bring the discussion here and see if anyone wants to jump in.  I welcome all points of view.  I only ask that everyone be courteous and respectful of viewpoints that differ from their own.  So, no name calling, profanity or general nastiness; although, spirited, intelligent discussion is encouraged! :)  I am not really challenged to think outside of my own viewpoint if I am just called a "hater" (I left my hip hop dictionary back in middle school) or bitter and angry. (See previous post.) As an aside, I'd like to add that it confounds me that I could offer my heart up in sincerity and still be labeled a "hater" by another person who shares my faith, but I'm more interested in moving on to productive dialogue.

So back to the subject at hand, in thinking about what these other women who have lost children had to say, it occured to me that we haven't touched on the fact that as expectant moms, we were given incorrect pictures of the people waiting to adopt our children.  I am gonna come at this one from the perspective of having relinquished through a Christian adoption agency.  I know that is not the experience of everybody out there, so I'd like to hear other's experiences as well.

I was most definitely encouraged to relinquish for the following reasons: 1) I was unmarried, and my daughter's father, although 11 years older, was about at my same emotional maturity level that I was at 17.  2) I had not yet gone to college, and it was going to be a big financial strain on me to provide for my daughter. She would have to go to daycare all day while I worked my tail off.  3) I was told I did not have the wisdom and discernment at my age to parent a child. 4) I was told that it would be extremely difficult for me to find a decent husband if I was a single mom.  Nobody would want to take on all my "baggage".  Go ahead and swallow the vomit that just came up into your mouth, and then read on. :)

So there you have it.  And I guess at face value, some of those ARE important issues to explore when you are facing parenthood.  Parenthood is not playing house.  But what those issues are not are automatic reasons to give your child away to someone else.  Did I need to find some solutions to my current situation?  Oh yeah.  Babies DO need financial provision.  They DO need to be nurtured spiritually and emotionally on top of meeting their physical needs.  But the point I am getting to is that, at the time, I was told that giving my child to a waiting family was going to secure all of these things for her.  Afterall, Bethany screens all of their adoptive parents and puts them through such a rigorous application process and homestudy, right?  Well, it certainly is a sea of paperwork and questions that adoptive parents have to wade through if you go through an agency.  I will definitely give you that.  But you know what I have found in the last 5 or 6 years that I have been developing relationships with adoptive parents?  They are not superhuman.  They are just normal, everyday people who want to be parents.  Some of them have a lot of money.  Some don't.  Some are married.  Some are single or divorced.  Some are educated and some are not.  Some are discerning and some just got off the banana boat.  Some are very knowledgeable about their faith, and some haven't cracked open their Bible in months or years or ever.  I am not saying this to be critical, I am saying this to put it out there in the open that couples who are waiting to adopt are just everyday, real, fallible people like anyone else.  Many are phenomenal people, and many are real jerks.  The fact that they have completed adoption paperwork and created a scrapbook or a YouTube video does not make them any wiser, or richer or loving. They are just human beings.  At the core, they are just the same as parents who relinquish.

Before I go any further, I want to say that my intent is not to harm any of my friends who might be reading who are mothers through adoption.  I am actually very thankful to have made friends with women and men who can offer me a glimpse into the world of an adoptive parent.  It has helped me to understand more of my own situation, and that has brought some relief to me as I have grieved my closed adoption.  You have let me into your lives and been honest with me about the not-so-lovely parts of adoption from your perspective, and even though that can be painful for me, it opens my mind up to experiences outside my own.  But I am about to open up another can, and I wanted to warn anyone reading that what follows might be hard to read at first...

It pains me to no end that I was deemed not good enough to parent my daughter for the reasons mentioned above, when agencies will turn around and allow single parent adoption, give loans and grants to people who cannot afford to adopt, allow people who are going through bankruptcy to adopt, allow people with no education and minimum wage jobs to adopt, allow people to adopt and then stick their children in daycare all day, and so on and so forth.  I have seen so many people come to discussion forums with all their worries because of bankruptcy, divorce, criminal records, trying to hurry up and find a church to attend for a while so that they can get a pastoral reference letter - then leave the church, and so on and so forth.  So, why is it that I wasn't good enough for their approval and help? Why is it that someone else could be in a similar circumstance to me at the time I relinquished my own daughter, but they are somehow "better" than me?  In some twisted way, I must love to my own harm for the sake of my daughter, so that she can have the opportunity to go to this dream family.  So I was told.

I believed this stuff.  I cried and cried at how torn I was.  I LOVE my firstborn.  I have loved her from the moment I knew of her existence.  Knowing her due date and being told that adoption was the best way I could show love to her was like knowing the day that someone was going to die.  You live in a perpetual state of nausea all the time (and it's not pregnancy-induced.)  I dreamed of leaving the hospital with her and just running away and making a life for myself.  But then I would be this awful, selfish, immature outcast.  And afterall, I would ruin her, right?  She deserved so much more than me.  She deserved the BEST.  Let me tell you, when I had that lighbulb moment and realized the facade of the rich, superhuman, all-wise, perfect adoptive family, I didn't know how I would live through it.  The grief that engulfed me was so crushing that I could hardly function.  When I went to my agency to discuss this discovery and emotional turmoil, they didn't know what to do with me.  Because they still didn't get it.  Even though they realize that waiting families are just normal people, there is still somehow this gigantic disconnect there about why they are not BETTER, just DIFFERENT from parents who relinquish.

I'm not trying to criticize anybody who finds themselves in any of the above-mentioned life circumstances.  Life happens and people lose jobs, find themselves in financial hardship, go through divorce (sometimes when they have no choice).  And of course there is the whole working mom and daycare vs. stay-at-home-mom discussion which I have no desire to wade into. People make the choices they deem best for their own families.  But I think you get the point I am trying to make, though.  Why was it more loving of me to consider giving my daughter to another mother who might put her in daycare when that is what I was facing? Why would it have been more loving of me to give her to a family who also didn't have much financially?  Why was it stressed to me that I was cheating my daughter out of having a father when the agency approves single parents?  I have seen marriages fall apart within a year or two after finalizing.  Do they have to give back their adopted children? I've never heard of it.  Of course not.  That is unimaginable.  Better yet, do people with bio children who go through hardships have an expectation put on them to just relinquish their kids because they are going through a rough time?  Um, nope.

So you see what I'm getting at.  Where is this truth in loving for the greater good?  Why was it more loving of me to give away my child rather than parent when I could have been placing her into similar circumstances to my own?  For the record, I'm not going to give specifics of my daughter's aparents' situation.  But I am thankful to say that they are a stable, solid, and I believe, discerning family.  My pain over their closing the adoption does not reflect on my confidence in their ability to parent my daughter well.  But I believe that my daughter's parents are by far NOT the norm from what I have seen over and over and over again among couples waiting to adopt.

Sometimes, I dislike how things have turned into a bit of an "I told you so" when it comes to how my life played out after relinquishment.  I have a very blessed life.  I had a fabulous job with a lot of respect, perks and privleges up until I made the decision to be a stay at home mom.  I have a rock solid husband who loves me, is a wonderful dad, and a hard-working provider for our family.  I have two precious daughters who I get to be with every day.  They bring so much joy into my life.  But I have actually had people CALL ME ON THE PHONE (3 different people, in fact) and ask me to talk to someone they know and convince them to relinquish their unborn child because it worked out so well for me.  I am not kidding around.  People misinterpret the blessings in my life to mean that they are BECAUSE I "made the right choice".  It hurts my chest a little to type that out.  It actually makes me need to breathe in and out deeply to release some of the strain of it.  I think it is really sad that I am still being told that adoption results in a fairy tale.  That anything good in my life cannot be because of resolve, back-breaking work, and determination, nevermind the grace and mercy of God, but it all has to be about that pivotal point in my life when I gave away my child.  Well, it was a pivotal point, alright.  It was the day that part of me died and went away forever.  It was the day that something so inconceivably awful happened that I have spent every day for the last 15 years trying to live life in spite of it.  Sorting through many, many layers of thought and realizing that what I once was told - that I was loving to my own harm for the life of another... that I was submitting to God and obediently giving my daughter something better - those were all just human words and ideas. 

I do know that there are women out there who cannot mother their children.  I know of the situations of people I love and respect, and their children's first moms have made and continue to make choices that bring about pain and difficulty in their lives and the lives of their relinquished children.  I'm not condoning a child being in an unhealthy or harmful environment.  Unfortunately, sometimes it really is necessary for children to be separated from their biological families.  But that is not really what we are talking about here.  We have been talking all along about convincing someone who loves their child that the BEST way they can love them is by giving them away.  And let me tell you... the kind of mother who falls victim to this line of thinking is the kind of mother who would move heaven and earth to provide physically, emotionally, and spiritually for her child if only encouraged and supported.  When will we begin offering the same support and understanding to biological mothers that we offer to people who long to adopt a child?  Why is it so wonderful to hold fundraising banquets and concerts with the intention of raising money for people who cannot afford to adopt?  I have more thoughts on all of that, but I have written enough.  I'll let it marinate and give myself a bit of a breather. :)

I encourage you to open up your heart to realities outside your own.  Adoption counseling is STILL going on in the manner I described in my situation.  In fact, I have been doing a little digging into some of Bethany's resources that they make available to "crisis pregnancy counselors", expectant parents, and waiting couples.  You will definitely want to know how they are currently marketing adoption, and how they are continuing to present an inaccurate at best and deceptive at worst picture about relinquishment.  But I digress...  Thanks for reading.

13 comments:

  1. "We are talking about someone who is being convinced that the best way to show she loves her child is by giving it away."

    Yeah. The paradox of that is mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni :)

    Fabulous post! It give me chills reading the things you were told as they paralleled so many things I was told. It is mind boggling (to use Mei-Ling's phrase) to think that just because a person is an adoptive parent they are automatically going to be a better parent than the child's own parents. I don't know how this package has been sold to society but it has and it works on those facing a desperate situation.

    "When will we begin offering the same support and understanding to biological mothers that we offer to people who long to adopt a child? Why is it so wonderful to hold fundraising banquets and concerts with the intention of raising money for people who cannot afford to adopt?"

    Fabulous paragraph. Just brilliant. Where were our fundraising banquets and concerts to help us keep our children? Where was our support? Why do we love our child any less because we are not adoptive parents? Too many excuses are made for adoption so it can be packaged nicely. Its time this stopped and adoption is laid bare to be seen for what it really is. A desperate act by a woman who feels she has no other choice and can't see her way out. A tragedy in huge proportions, both for the child and the mother.

    Thanks, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni,

    What a great post! So very, very sad, but so very true.

    When I first read those words on another blog today, they literally took my breath away. I tried to find words to reply to that first post, just as I am still trying to do here.

    Oh, how I wish my family had loved me enough. Loved me enough to have done what ever it took to help me keep my son. He would have had a wonderful life with me ~ different, but still wonderful.

    But the problem is, adoption is not about the child. It's not about the mother of the baby. It's about families that need a baby. There is no money to be made from the mothers or the babies. The only money to be made is from the family that needs a baby.

    Until laws change and huge profits cannot be made for adoption agencies & lawyers, adoption will continue to take babies away from the mothers that love them enough.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni,

    Even though I am an adoptive parent, I agree with you on all accounts. I didn't adopt from an agency, it was completely private and my attorney definitely didn't benefit financially. The birth mother of my children placed her first three children (boys) with me because of the reasons you mentioned - finances, no husband (the birth father was married to someone else and an illegal immigrant), and she had no family support, but I think her family still convinced her to relinquish based on the reasons you give. It bothers me when people tell me "those kids are so lucky they have you" - they could've been happy with their birth mother, it just would've been a different life.

    I appreciate your open dialogue and insight.

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni, another great post. I could comment on alot of things, but I just want to say here that I too was used as a "reference". About a month or 2 after I had my son and relinquished him, I got a phone call from a girl I knew who was young and pregnant, and she said she was told by our pastor to call me and talk to me about giving her baby up for adoption. As I recall it, I told her I wouldn't recommend it.

    Just shows how insensitive my pastor was to my grief. And I'm not knocking pastor's or Christianity. He was who he was, my pastor now is a wonderful man who listens to me about the wrongs of adoption. It is KILLING me to see so many people turning against God and all things Christian because of these adoption agencies who are using God to further their agendas and fatten their wallets.

    The other thing I wanted to comment on is what you said about the fundraisers and banquets.

    Recently I did a fundraiser for a wonderful Group Home that takes in young women who are pregnant, these are girls who have no good role models and need guidance. But they want to raise their babies. This Home makes sure they finish their education, learn nutrition skills, independent living skills, parenting skills, money management, etc, and they keep giving them support even after they leave the home, and they only leave when they are ready.

    This is a wonderful Home and the kind of thing our churches should be helping with!!!

    My fundraiser bombed. Completely. I think I raised $30. I was very upset, because somehow in my heart I know that if it had been a fundraiser for someone who is wanting to adopt a baby, I would have raised alot of money.

    I did give them a nice amount of money at Christmas time, my parents and my hubby and I decided to give them the money we'd spend on presents for each other. And I think we had one of the best Christmases ever and it will most likely be a new tradition in our family. I'm hoping thorughout this year to reach others to do the same. It wasn't alot of money that we were able to give, but they were SO thankful.

    It hurts me to see that places like this are needing basic things like pillows and towels and baby items, and nobody is interested in helping.

    To me it just proves the thinking about "who is worthy" to parent, and who is not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a place that is doing a lot of good, Lynn. :) I think the fundamental reason that people are not trying to support organizations like that is that they believe if they support a woman who decides to single parent, then they are condoning what got her there in the first place. I have been banging my head against the wall for years trying to explain to people that GETTING pregnant and PARENTING that child are two separate issues. I believe that the Bible tells us we should not have sex outside of marriage, but nowhere does it say that if you do and get pregnant, you have to give away your baby in order to be forgiven or to receive the love of the body of Christ. There is such a disconnect there within the church, and it saddens me. There is a difference between condoning sin and having compassion. And I think one problem with Bethany is that from the top (there are some good local offices, but as a whole) they view their "ministry" to women as helping them make the decision TO relinquish because their bias tells them that it is such a win-win-win situation. They say that they do not bias their counseling, but that is NOT true. They have been at this business for 60 years, and they should know better by now. Actually, they do. So there's the rub. (We need some emoticons!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad about the fundraiser that bombed. That group home sounds great and is exactly the kind of service that is needed. But people love to bash and demonize young mothers (the single mothers get the worst of it, but even young married mothers are admonished for having children "too soon").

    This is a great post, first time I've read your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "they believe that if they support a woman who decides to single parent, then they are condoning what got her there in the first place"

    Interestingly enough, that might be the mindset beside a commenter over at Myst's post - the whole "YOU opened your legs" line.

    Well... duh? Reproductive activity isn't a sin.

    Oh wait, this is adoption we're talking about. Of *course* it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenni,

    I've read your post, thought about what I wanted to respond, gone away to think about it longer, come back, read, gone away again . . .

    All because you make so many good points here and there is so much in what you have to say that I can relate to and it is so hard to form a comment that doesn't turn into another blog post.

    **it occured to me that we haven't touched on the fact that as expectant moms, we were given incorrect pictures of the people waiting to adopt our children.**

    There is so much truth in this. That was a big one for me, how my son's adoptive parents were incorrectly portrayed to me. And for me, because I knew I would have my parents and my friends support if I kept my son, the "greatness" of hopeful couples hoping to adopt was brought to my attention over and over again.

    Because, of course I loved my son and, of course, I could, at 16, have my parents help me raise him until I was able to finish school and create a life for the two of us. But really, that was selfish thought to have because if I REALLY loved my son I would realize that there was this great couple out there who could provide him with a two parent home and stability and a normal life with all the opportunities offered to him.

    That one struck hard because, for me, and my experience, the "greatness" and feelings of my son's adoptive parents played the largest, and final role in my experience.

    My supposive love for him was challenged over and over again in this area. And it has created one of the hardest inner battles I deal with today after learning what I have abut the kind of childhood my son had.

    It's hard to make any sense out of being told loving my son meant giving him up to his adoptive parents when you battle with how desperately your love for your child failed when you learn of the abuse and neglect he faced at that hands of those adoptive parents.

    They told me if I loved him, I'd put him in that life and yet now, I am faced with a constant need to prove I love him because I put him in that life.

    *****

    There is so much more I want to comment on as well but I think, in the interest of not taking up all the space on your blog, as well as the others who have touched on this subject lately, I'll do a follow-up with so many of the thoughts you have sparked in me with what you have written here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly. Adoptive parents aren't perfect. We have our flaws. We have our fears, problems, and issues. And I don't think that crisis pregnancies are solved by a-parents. I say this because two women I know who are birth moms have many many problems (and did at the time they placed) and getting pregnant and the whole drama surrounding that was just ONE problem out of many (and greater). These girls needed some intervention that went to the heart of their problems. The pregnancy was just one part of it. And just because a-parents show up, it doesn't mean the mom's main issues are instantly made better. These two women I know are still making bad choices in their lives, and placing their babies didn't change those issues. That's not to say I feel their choices to place were wrong....I don't know the answer to that one....but it's to say that there are "bigger fish to fry" than to concentrate just on the adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes,that is one thing that is very frustrating to me, Rachel. Because if there are issues in a woman's life that need to be addressed/remedied, then convincing her to give away her baby is not going to help her. She will now just be able to add to her mountain of troubles "loss of child". How sad. Sometimes, we can offer help after help to someone and they just will not grab hold of it. But help should be the first thing we extend, rather than a smile, a pat on the back and a patronizing "atta girl" for giving her baby to someone else. That is not ministry. No one can convince me of that. It is a like a colostomy for a broken leg. Yes, the broken leg is a problem and will prevent you from getting to the bathroom, but if you will repair the broken leg, you can get there on your own, rather than permanently rerouting your colon! Sounds absurd, but that is exactly what a lot of relinquishments are like. Trouble with providing for your baby? Well, give it to someone else permanently instead of fixing what is broken. :( I know it is not ALWAYS the case. I know help is offered to and rejected by some moms. But that's not what a lot of agencies are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Convincing, wow. I'm out of the adoption loop, so don't hate, BUT, those of us out here aren't even aware of these issues, ya know? In society today we are "brainwashed" to think a certain way. For example, I just watched "The Pregnancy Pact" and I immediately thought about how much "better" it would be for the babies if 15 year olds were NOT raising these babies. It honestly NEVER crossed my mind that it would be better for both Mom and baby to be kept together. It just "seems" like anything would be better, which just isn't true. Although, I do have some arguments as to why a 15 year old shouldn't. My sister adopted, so I am thankful for this post and opening my mind to another view.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My youngest child is biologically ours. My husband and I are in the process of adopting an older child as well. As it relates to you, however, my son, my first child, we adopted in 2006. We continue to maintain a very open relationship with his birth mother and her parents and her extended family, however I would kill to know our son's birth mother's experience and perspective of the adoption and her decision. Even more so as the years go by, so that we can love and include her more if she wishes. She is a very quiet girl. Anyway, all this to say...I cannot get enough of your perspective and I respond with a resounding YES, oh my gosh, YES to all of your thoughts and questions about how birth mothers are handled before, during, and after that adoption. While I know your thoughts and heartaches are not automatically what our son's birth mother's thoughts are, it still answers a lot of questions and makes me more sensitive and compassionate with how we will continue to move forward with her. And your openness allows me to give her more credit, as well as all birth mothers, that our culture and the agencies that facilitate adoptions have otherwise allowed. Please keep sharing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete