Saturday, February 6, 2010

Is there such a thing as a safe letter?

I've been reading through what little correspondence I have between my first daughter's family and me.  There isn't much to read, but there is a lot to take in.  I have been reading through it in preparation to send them a letter around the time of her birthday.  Her birthday is in a few weeks, and she will be 15.  FIFTEEN.  That is very strange to me.  And yet those years have not passed quickly.

I have realized something very important tonight.  It may seem like a no-brainer to some, but try to be patient with me as I sort through the chaos in my life known as adoption grief. 

I really detest Bethany Christian Services' abhorrent practices,
but I love my daughter's family, and I want them to know that.  I want them to know ME, not some idea of who I might be.

I separate the two entirely in my heart.  It is strange, but true.  They are not Bethany.  They are not doing the same old stuff over and over again to women after me.  They are probably just living their lives the best that they can, and they don't know the heartache I live with.  I believe that they love me, in some way that I cannot explain, because I know that they love my daughter.  So I separate them from the people who still can't seem to understand that they have some major problems in the way they run their business.  And it IS a business.  (Another post for another night.)

I have struggled a lot with the fact that I have to rely on an agency that I don't trust to be the go between for me with a person who holds an enormous part of my heart.  As I have read and re-read the several letters I have from my daughter's family, I see so much to love and to trust.  I see much to respect.  I just have a hard time believing that all those years ago they said they did not want to hear from me anymore.  That is what I was told by the social worker... That it was too hard for my daughter's adoptive mother to be reminded of her adoption.  It was painful for her and hard for her to write back, and they hoped that I would be willing to move on with my life.

We could spend a lot of time talking about that line of thinking, but I don't want to focus on it tonight.  We all know moving on after losing a child in that way is bunk.  Living through it? Living alongside it? Living a "real" life and an "adoption" life? I am familiar with all of that.  But moving on? (Enter silent pause and crickets chirping...) It doesn't exist.  Yeah, I moved on for about 8 or 9 years.  Then I finally admitted that I was dead inside because I was grieving something everyday that no one would acknowledge.  I was expected to be grateful and healed and look back on all of it as a growing experience.  ?????

Anway, I don't have the emotional energy tonight to do justice to my adoption story.  Maybe I can do that at a later time.  The bare bones of it, though, is that I had a semi-open agreement where I was told after TPR that I couldn't know my daughter's name (not even her first name), where I was told that I could not have any more pictures of her after the first year, and where I was told by the social worker that I needed to move on and not ask for update letters after the 5th year.  The end.  Have a happy life.  You are a special person.  God bless you, honey.

(Huge exhale.) I've written a hundred letters since then that have all said something different.  None of them have ever been mailed.  I have always been too scared, or felt like I would somehow "be in trouble", or felt like I would be misunderstood... an irritation, threat, or annoyance to them.  Fifteen years not knowing my daughter's name.  Fourteen years without a picture of her.  Ten years with no word on how her life is going and who she is as a person. 

So much has happened in those years.  What do I share with them?  I want them to know I am happily married and that I have two wonderful children.  I want them to know how I have changed and grown as a person.  I want them to know about my cancers and our other family medical history.  There are some important things there.  I want to know what my first daughter is like.  I want to know her first name.  I feel like it was something that was just stolen from me...  Something that I had a right to know... Something that my grieving heart needed to know...  I did not have a closed agreement.  I would never have let her go if I had known how the contact would play out.  It was part of the "sale" to me, you know?  "Nowdays, you don't have to wonder about your relinquished child.  You can choose the family and stay in touch through letters and pictures.  You never have to wonder how she is doing." Um, it hasn't really worked out for me that way, Bethany.  But I know you still sell it like that.

I want my first daughter to know she has sisters who share some of her DNA.  I believe as a human being she has a right to know that.  I want her to know her adoption story from the person who lived it rather than someone who doesn't know me.  That is something that has always left me scratching my head because I read something peculiar very often in people's online profiles who are waiting to adopt and wanting a semi-open or closed agreement.  I want to know how you can promise to always tell a child about their "birthmom" and how she loved them so much when you will basically know nothing about her?  I guess it can go back to that quote, "If I loved my child any less, they'd still be with me." It has to be that the couple has already bought into all of that mess.  But I digress.  Back on track...

I didn't know that my state had no revocation period.  I didn't know that I didn't have to sign.  I didn't know that I was abandoning her.  I didn't know that I would be writing all of this 15 years later.  I didn't know that I would think of her every single day for the rest of my life.  I didn't know that I would be a great mom.  I didn't know.  I didn't know.  And I HATE myself for that.

So what do you write to someone when you stick your neck out and try to contact them after so long?  Will they be less wary of me since their children are all so much older?  Have they learned more about what adoption is really like just as I have?  DID THEY REALLY DESIRE TO END CONTACT LIKE THE SOCIAL WORKER SAID? Have they been wondering all along why I haven't written?  Will they rejoice or hold me at arms length?

I have been thinking over the last few months about whether or not to write a real letter or a safe letter.  I think I know now that there really is no such thing for me as a safe letter.  I just have to put my heart out there and know that I might be rejected.  The problem is that I am afraid of how I might react internally if that is what happens.  I'm not asking for anything different than what we originally agreed to.  I'm not asking them to let me into their lives or to have visits or to even write a letter directly to my daughter.  I just want her to know me from my own words.  And I want to know who she is and how she feels.

I'm going to choose to believe that her parents were as ill-prepared for and uninformed about adoption as I was.  I am going to write that letter as if they are ecstatic to be reading it.  I am going to tell them about my life and ask about theirs.  I am going to do all of this with expectant hope.  I am going to do it.  Now I just need someobody to prop me up as it all shakes out.  It is not an option to not send it this time.

My chest hurts. Breathe, Jenni.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Jenni ~ my heart goes out to you. I am propping you up, with my prayers for you and for your daughters parents to open their hearts to the person that made their dreams come true. I think you are right to write the letter from your heart. I also think you need to keep a copy of the letter, in hopes of a future reunion with your daughter so she can see that you tried to continue contact if her parents choose not to tell her about it.

    Continue breathing Jenni, and I will keep you in my prayers!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who would deny contact between a first mother and her child because it "brings up her adoption" hasn't done any of the emotional work needed to raise an adoptee. The story does strike me as iffy because they consented to an open adoption in the first place. Whatever happened, I think your plan of cutting through the BS and assuming that everyone has reached the higher ground is a great one. Sometimes when someone expects something of you that you didn't think you had in you, you discover you do after all.

    Prayers and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni, I sure do hope you write that letter from the heart.. instead of trying to write a "safe" one.

    I'm so glad you're viewing your daughter's adoptive parents separately from Bethany. I remember our social worker telling us that the semi-open contracts that they do are not enforcable by law. She went on to say that many expectant moms come to Bethany because specifically because it's a Christian agency. Whether they are Christians or not, they "like" that their child will go to a Christian couple. So, she reminded us that, in a sense, we're promising to keep contact in the name of "Jesus", so we should remember that. I know that doesn't cancel out the un-loving way you were treated. But, what this particular social worker said regarding that was a good thing and I just think it needs to be said to all of their potential adoptive parents as well as the adoptive parents who are considering or have decided to break that contract.

    The thing is it didn't take a social worker telling me to know this and I just have very little understanding of breaching those contracts. It takes very little effort to send a couple of pictures and a paragraph (at the very least) once a year.

    Anyway, I'm sure I'm not helping much, but I've been wanting to jump in here on your blogs for a while, so there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni, I would definitely take the chance and send the letter from your heart. I would do like Susie said, too, and keep a copy ... just in case your daughter never sees the other one.

    There's a possibility they might welcome the letter and it's always worth that chance.

    From my experience, I've never felt any kind of love from my son's adoptive mom (I've been in reunion for 5 years now), we met each other, emailed each other, etc. I only feel a tolerance, and a sense of her waiting for me to disappear. But I'm not going anywhere, EVER. I'm here to stay in my son's life as long as he wants me there.

    I tell you this so you stay strong, no matter what happens. Don't ever give up on trying to reach your daughter. Go through Bethany if you have to. Use them to reach out to her. It may have been them that stopped the contact, but it may have been her parents too.

    I'm angry that they made an agreement with you and then didn't keep it. That wasn't a Christian thing to do. And it wasn't a loving thing to do for you or for your daughter.

    I know in my heart that the letter you write will be a beautiful one, one that clearly shows the love in your heart for your daughter. I pray that they will respond in kind and will be at a better place in their lives to make an effort to keep in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni,

    I loved your post. Even though I am in an "open" adoption relationship with my children's birthmother, I have a hard time REALLY knowing how she feels (and I wish I did). I know her heart aches for her children (you already know she placed FIVE of her children with me) but I don't know what I can do on my end to ease her pain (if in fact that is even possible).

    I never knew if telling her about the children made it easier or harder for her. When she and I would get together and go out to lunch I would ask if she wanted to know about the kids or if it was too painful (she usually wanted to know).

    As I write about my adoption experiences I sometimes lament that I didn't have a "social worker" to faciliate visitation, but now looking it at from your view point I probably should be glad. I had to talk directly with their mother and grandmother about visitation expectations (even though I admit it was hard to try and make all parties happy at the same time).

    Long story short, I am glad my children know their first mother and grandmother. She is very much a part of our lives (I also have contact with my daughter's birth fathers and two other grandmothers). I believe it is just insecurity on the part of adoptive parents that they don't want to associate with birthmothers or first parents, but that is just my own theory.

    I say write the letter, your daughter will most likely want to read about your every emotion and feeling with regards to her.

    Thanks again for your insight. Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why would you think that they love you? They sound really selfish and scared to me.

    This is exactly what happened to me. Before the adoption I was promised a letter once a year. After the adoption I got some blurry photos of her as a baby and then just before her first birthday was told that they didn't want to have any contact. They wanted to let her wait until she was old enough to decide for herself.

    Of course she grew up knowing none of this. They made it sound very anonymous, a phone call telling them a baby was there for them....and they were in the middle of moving house...

    25 years later, seven years into reunion they cannot meet me. Will never look me in the eyes. I know where they live, can find their phone number, have never once been unkind to them.

    I was so disappointed with them for being afraid of me and too selfish to work through their fears. Because of that my daughter suffered intense emotions in our reunion rather than knowing a little of me her whole life.

    I see my part too, I relinquished her, I was naive and thought people who adopt were superior and kindly. They are just people.

    I find it hard to truly and deeply respect them because I see them as fearful and dishonest. But I try to see them with good eyes. I am willing to do that at least.

    If you can send a letter then do.

    I don't think they are good people who love you though. I think they are selfish and immature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think reaching out "not knowing" is the hardest part. Once you are past that I think you will find that a huge weight has been lifted whether they respond to you or not.

    I just went through this myself two years ago when my first son turned 16. My daughter that I am parenting was diagnosed with diabetes I felt that this was important enough that I should not wait until my son would turn 18. Instead I was able to find them and send an email to the adoptive dad (because he is a college professor his contact info was online).

    They were very shocked to get my email as our adoption was always closed and they knew nothing about me at all. They have since then been open to minimal contact which was fine with me because all I ever wanted was to know about my son and see pictures of him. It has been almost 2 years since that first email I sent and they have just told him in December that they know who I am and that we've been corresponding. They have been kind and compassionate towards me and I believe they knew exactly what was best for their son. It has unfolded slowly, but in a way that I am so grateful for.

    I hope to meet my son one day and be reunited with him, but until then I guess what I wanted you to know is that there is hope. There is hope that even though you were told they didn't want to hear from you back then that they have grown and changed and evolved into compassionate, caring people.

    Good luck with your letter and I am so sorry you can not send it direct and have to deal with the agency. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenni!

    Thank you for your comment on my post the other day. I saw this post of yours but took a few days to actually read it - it really struck close to home for me.

    I, too, used Bethany. And I, too, felt the pull to write a letter of my own. I can relate so strongly to the emotions you write about here. About it taking a long time to not feel like a young, scared child anymore as it relates to your adoption story. I felt like I had just been going along with the motions for the last 8 years, and even though I had all these questions, I just never felt like I had the "right" to ask them, you know? I AM getting my updates every year with a nice letter and pictures, (which is what we had agreed to) so I guess I felt like I couldn't ask for more.

    But while it's nice to know my daughter's general likes and dislikes and a little bit about her life, my biggest questions are about her adoptive life. What do they tell her? What does she know? When I send presents, do they say they're from me? Do I even exist in her world? Or am I something hidden in a box that she'll have the "right" to open when she's 18, if she so chooses?

    So I finally wrote a letter of my own. I first spoke to my counselor at Bethany and she sounded hesistant, to put it nicely. I mailed it along with her birthday presents in late October. I was told in December sometime, by Bethany, that they would respond after the holidays. Still no word...

    So I put myself out there, and now I wait. I'm unsure of my next steps. But I just wanted to let you know that I understand so much about how you feel right now. The longing to make your voice heard, to reach across and make a REAL connection, not a "safe" one as you say. I, too, hate having to be mediated by Bethany. I feel like they think I'm some unstable crazy person that can't be trusted (they have no reason to think that, it's just that my counselor talks to me as though I'm about to jump off the deep end....)

    Sigh, it's hard isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenni,

    Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I honestly understand where you are coming from. I can't believe that they didn't even tell you her first name. It makes me so mad. I like to say that we are a victim of the times and things are done different, but I guess that's not true in some cases.

    ReplyDelete