The reader of another blog contacted me this morning regarding some comments I had made on another discussion. I won’t link to it because it would be a TON of reading to catch up, but I’ll summarize it in a nutshell…
A woman struggling through infertility posted on her blog about a very recent (as in, the funeral has not yet taken place) death in her family. Sadly, the person who tragically died was the mother of a brand new three-week-old baby. The point of the blog post was not to discuss the tragedy of the accident, but rather, it was to discuss how badly she wanted that baby, and when it would be best to approach the new widower about the subject. To her delight, she didn’t have to worry about how to approach it because another family member had the same idea. She wanted to adopt the baby, but only if the other woman didn’t want the baby first. (Oh, do I wish I had emoticons.) A fellow blogger asked her (in a very self-controlled way, I might add) to please consider how backwards her thinking was on this. The initial blogger (Alicia) expressed that she believed this tragedy was God’s way of orchestrating the opportunity for her to finally become a mother. The commenter (Christina) tried to offer that adoption is not designed to find babies for people who want them, but rather, to provide homes for children who need a home. In the case of this newborn, he already had a capable father who was still in shock grieving his wife’s sudden death. How could this child possibly be viewed as someone who did not have a home or someone to care for him? Anyway, it just got out of hand, and rather than responding to Christina’s questions, Alicia pulled the “do you know where you would go if you died tonight” card and went off on a very inappropriate and unrelated tangent sharing the plan of salvation with Christina. It was a trainwreck. I left some comments, trying to offer the perspective of another Christian who felt it was an inappropriate venue, and another commenter who was in agreement with Alicia came to my blog and had a couple of questions for me.
He was very respectful, and I want to answer him honestly, so here is what he posed to me:
“Hi Jenni,
You posted a comment on another blog and instead of replying there since it is off the main point of the post I thought would come to your blog. You profess to be a Christian, so if I was not a Christian and had 3 minutes left to live, what would you say to me? Also, when is it an appropriate time to share your faith and when isn't it? Thank you for your time.”
So this is to the poster, known as Galatians 2:20, and anyone else who might be wondering the same thing…
I don’t mind answering your question at all. :) Although, because your question stems from the discussion over on the other blog, I think it is imperative to set my comments and my explanation of them within the proper context.
I absolutely believe with all of my being that as Christians it is our duty and privilege to bring the gospel to others. No doubt about it. You asked if you were an unbeliever and had 3 minutes left to live, what I would share with you. Well, without a doubt, I would compel you to look to Christ. I would be very compassionate yet direct with you about what God tells us about eternity. But here is the thing: In the context of the other blog conversation, it was not a life and death moment, not a moment in which all else should be cast aside and an urgent plea made. It was just totally inappropriate. The discussion at hand was about adoption, where Christina outlined her concerns over Alicia’s view on adopting her family member’s baby. Alicia did not address Christina’s questions at all, but rather dismissed them entirely, and then proceeded to go completely off-topic and cite every misinterpreted verse in the Bible where she believes that adoption has God’s stamp of approval. On top of that, she then goes into a detailed sharing of the gospel, which automatically falls on deaf ears because she has just finished dismissing everything Christina said. Sharing Christ is not about ignoring everything else about a person and forcing them onto the topic of total depravity and Christ’s atonement. If you mistreat a person, dismiss them, plug your ears as you hum la-la-la, and then plunge into, “Do you know where you would go if you died tonight?” they are not going to hear anything you have to offer them, no matter if it is truth.
I am an absolute living trophy of God’s grace. I am one hundred percent a Saul turned Paul. It overwhelms me daily that God would love me and have mercy on me when I was doing everything I could to run away from Him. But I can’t help anyone see how amazing and beautiful that is if I treat them rudely right before I offer it. We must treat people with compassion and grace. If we cannot be kind to them, our sharing of the gospel means nothing because we are more concerned with spreading our message than with authentically reaching people and seeing a change in them.
I Corinthians 13 speaks plainly on this. It tells us that “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
I don’t want to be a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. I want to be patient and kind with those who do not share my faith. I do not want to be rude or seek to make my point at all costs (even if my point is to share the gospel). I would rather show love to the person by listening to them, valuing them as a person (translate: love them as ones for whom Christ died) and seek to gain their respect and trust so that they might receive what I have to say at the appropriate time regarding their need for Christ and the truth of the gospel. We can’t blindside people by attacking them with Scripture and trying to scare them into eternity. We must compel them with our own lives as examples of what the love of God, the death of Christ, the power of the resurrection and the keeping of the Holy Spirit can do to change our lives forever.
I have heard it wisely said before that sharing the gospel is not JUST sharing the gospel. It is sharing your own soul with another person. I Thessalonians 2 is a wonderful expression of this. Bear with me in reading the first twelve verses:
“For you yourselves know, brethren, that our visit to you was not in vain; but though we had already suffered and been shamefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we had the courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in the face of great opposition. For our appeal does not spring from error or uncleanness, nor is it made with guile; but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please men, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never used either words of flattery, as you know, or a cloak for greed, as God is witness; nor did we seek glory from men, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. BUT WE WERE GENTLE AMONG YOU, LIKE A NURSE TAKING CARE OF HER CHILDREN. SO, BEING AFFECTIONATELY DESIROUS OF YOU, WE WERE READY TO SHARE WITH YOU NOT ONLY THE GOSPEL OF GOD BUT ALSO OUR OWN SELVES, BECAUSE YOU HAD BECOME VERY DEAR TO US.
For you remember our labor and toil, brethren; we worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you, while we preached to you the gospel of God. You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our behavior to you believers; for you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to lead a life worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.”
This doesn’t mean that I have secret motives when I befriend a person who does not think like me. I am not lying in wait for the perfect opportunity to pounce on them or back them into a corner and spoon feed Scripture to them. It means that I believe that there are times for frank discussions, and there are times for LIVING my faith as an example. I must first take an interest in them as a person if their soul will truly mean anything to me. Otherwise, we reduce people to another check mark in the wall… one more notch in our “witnessing” belts. Ugh. I grew up in a Christian school that routinely emphasized in its chapel services that it was of importance to win as many souls as possible to Christ. But it was done in a way that reduced people to a notch on a belt, another point on the score card, as if it was some type of competition or evidence of being "more holy" if you had led the most people to the Lord. I don’t think this is the heart of Christ. People are not to be notches in our belts. I have a very distinct memory of being in junior high in one of those chapel services with the preacher going on and on about this and feeling like a complete and total loser because at the age of 12 I had never led anybody to the Lord. ??? Seriously.
You must also understand that the world of adoption is a place in which far too many people have been immeasurably wounded by religion, selfishness and greed disguised as ministry, and covetousness backed by biblical accounts of adoption. It breaks my heart. There are a lot of people out there spouting off Bible verses who don’t have any real knowledge. They are just regurgitating things they have heard elsewhere. It is damaging and well, just plain wrong. It harms the cause of Christ way more than it helps it. I will even go as far as to say that I think Satan rejoices when this type of thing happens because he knows it complicates things even further and causes a greater divide between truth and what is just commonly and blindly accepted about adoption. Very sad, indeed.
Anyway, now I have written way more than you wanted to read, so I apologize for that. I am at home with sick kids today, so there isn’t much I can do besides sit here with two little girls snuggling me on the couch. I’m not complaining, though. :) I hope you’ll stick around to read more and hear what others have to say. And I hope I answered your questions sufficiently. Thanks for listening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenni -
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing, well thought out response. Lovely, just lovely.
M.
Two comments:
ReplyDelete1. I agree that this is a well thought out response to this question. Even though we share a Christian faith, I know we come at it from differing views/denominations, but this resonates with me too :)
2. The whole wanting to adopt the baby whose mother just died and the child has a FATHER is ridiculous and horrifying to me as an adoptive mother. Just so you know ;)
How much better would the world be if Christians lived their beliefs in a true way without hypocrisy, lies and rebadging, witness 'religious whipping' which to my values equals abuse.
ReplyDeleteSome motivations need much thought.In the case mentioned one would like to think the welfare of the baby had come first.This child has lost it's mother and others are suggesting it suffers the trauma of adoption too? I find this a huge disregard for the rights of the child who has no reliable advocates.A very sad situation.
I had to read this sentence:
ReplyDelete"The point of the blog post was not to discuss the tragedy of the accident, but rather, it was to discuss how badly she wanted that baby, and when it would be best to approach the new widower about the subject."
about six times before I "understood." I just kept thinking "Surely I'm reading this wrong... surely there is no human being who is THAT callous." Just when you think you've seen it all, huh?
*ahem* ANYWAY. Your response is very well put. It is *God* who convicts hearts; not we as humans. It is our job to FIRST love people ("the greatest of these is love"), and out of that love should naturally flow sharing our faith and living it out before others. Not having seen the blog you're describing, it sounds like it had to do more with grasping at straws to "win" an argument using smoke and mirrors, rather than speaking the truth in love.
I'm sorry to hear your children are sick. I hope they feel better soon. I agree with you, we are to share the Gospel in LOVE. Our actions can detract from the Gospel. But loving someone without sharing the Gospel is not loving at all. "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17
ReplyDeleteBut you said, "On top of that, she then goes into a detailed sharing of the gospel, which automatically falls on deaf ears because she has just finished dismissing everything Christina said." How do you know it falls on deaf ears. Only God controls who is saved by His Gospel.
You also said, "In the context of the other blog conversation, it was not a life and death moment, not a moment in which all else should be cast aside and an urgent plea made."
How do you know how long anyone has to live. The reader could die that same day. How unloving would that be to let not share the Gospel when the opportunity arises?
In response to the 3 minute Gospel question, if you had 3 minutes left to live, this is what I would say to you;
"In just a few minutes you are going to stand before Almighty God; and He is going to judge you according to the perfect moral standard of His Law. If you've ever lied, He will see you as a liar. If you've ever stolen anything, He will see you as a thief. If you've ever taken His name in vain, He will see you as a blasphemer. If you've ever hated anyone, He will see you as a murderer.
"God is holy, righteous, just, and good. He must punish sin. And the punishment God has ascribed for sin is eternity in hell. And that's what you face in about two minutes, unless God does something."
"This is your only hope. Two thousand years ago, God the Father sent His Son to earth in the person of Jesus Christ--fully-God and fully-Man, and without sin. Unlike you and me, He never once violated the Law of God in thought, word, or deed. He was perfect in every respect."
"About thirty to thirty-three years into that earthly existence, He voluntarily went to the cross. He suffered and died, shedding His innocent blood--taking upon Himself the punishment you rightly deserve for your sins against God. Then, three days later, He rose from the dead, forever defeating sin and death. He is alive today and He will return at a time of the Father's choosing.
"What God requires of you, Jenni, is that you repent. God commands that you turn from your sin and by faith, and by faith alone, receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. He is your only hope.
"In just a minute or so you are going to stand before God. Unless He saves you, you are going to spend eternity in hell. My hope is that instead of receiving what you deserve for your sins against God, you will receive what you and I don't deserve, which is grace, mercy, and the free gift of eternal life. So, please, repent and receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior while He has given you time.
"Does that make sense?"
You may want to read a post on Why Friendship Evangelism is not Evangelism. http://thelawmanchronicles.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-friendship-evangelism-is-neither.html
I think we agree on more than you may realize. I am not advocating a "friendship gospel" in the least. I don't think I said anything of that nature in my post. But let me follow your line of thinking for a moment. When you order fast food, do you speak to the person taking your order as if they are going to die that day? Do you share all the things you mentioned above? How about when you rent a movie or go to the grocery store? When you put gas in your car and someone is standing at the pump next to you? How about the parent sitting next to you at your child's Christmas program? Let's even make it more personal. What if you are invited to a dinner party and encounter some people you have never met before. Do you dive into the plan of salvation with them immediately as well? Because if you don't, then you are being inconsistent and your reasoning confuses me. I very much doubt that you share the gospel with all of the new people you meet every day because, frankly, it is not always the appropriate place or time. And I dare say, not always at the forefront of your mind. Yet, any of those people could die at any moment, right?
ReplyDeleteI'm not saying any of this in a rude way, so I hope you receive it in the manner it is offered. I'm just following your line of reasoning, and I'm saying that if you are going to be so dogmatic, then you must follow it through.
You are right that we never know how the Spirit may work in a person. Isaiah tells us that God's word will not return to Him empty, but rather, accomplish what He intends. But I think we should be very, very careful about how WE decide to send forth that word. God specifically says, "... MY word which goes out from MY mouth..." That is a very sobering thought. We can have the best of intentions yet really bomb. The Lord can certainly redeem that for His purpose, but should we be so arrogant as to say that we will send out His word in a way that is rude, dismissive and ill-timed just because of the content of our message? I'm not willing to be in that camp.
I care very, VERY much about the souls of other people. I am getting the feeling by what you wrote that you are concerned for me and feel the need to make sure that I know how to be saved! :) But I can assure you that I have no doubts about where I stand. By the grace of God, He revealed Himself to me in spite of all of the scare tactics and "The Thief in the Night" films that I had to watch at school when I was a child. LOL
I will say that I think there is something to be said for discussing aspects of theology with a person and how the Bible is applicable to their personal situation before throwing down the Romans Road at them. :) This may not apply to you in any form or fashion, but it has been my experience that the people who are so zealous to shout the gospel from the street corners are often the people who have very little knowledge beyond that. They can offer the plan of salvation but have difficulty answering the tough questions that subsequently follow. I have no desire to be at odds with you, and am happy to agree to disagree. But please just know that I am not some type of Universalist. :) I think we agree on what the gospel is, just maybe not on how we believe we are called to share it with other people. I'm ok with that. :)
The Lord can certainly redeem that for His purpose, but should we be so arrogant as to say that we will send out His word in a way that is rude, dismissive and ill-timed just because of the content of our message?
ReplyDeleteAs someone who works daily with those who do not want to receive the message, I can agree with Jenni's statement above. Yes, if someone were truly dying right before my eyes my delivery of the message would certainly would take on a different tone. But I have found that the "hell-fire and brimstone" approach does not work very well otherwise (if at all).
I agree that it is a very fine line. Christ delivers condemnation, not us. If I were to use the 3 minute speech offered above by 2:20 I know the response I would get, at least with those I come into daily, real-life contact with. And those are the souls for whom I am concerned.
The Christ I see was very relational, but also very forthcoming. I am far, far from emulating him. I am an imperfect human. But I strive to find a balance between the two. Because I really do want to win souls for him! If that makes me a friendly, relational, universalist, new ager - well then I guess I am one who is also crazy about Jesus. ;)
Sorry for the typos above. :)
ReplyDeleteAndi,
ReplyDeleteThe bible says No one is good, no not one." Until one understands they are not a good person but a viel, wretched person, they wont esteem the cross.
Galatians 3:24 says "the law is our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ."
Law to the proud, grace to the humble.
Here is what Jesus said in Matthew 19:16-22
"And behold, a man came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments." He said to him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." The young man said to him, "All these I have kept. What do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions."
You do not know what reponse you will get from anyone. Only God can change someone's heart. We are called to preach the Gospel.
Jenni,
ReplyDeleteNo I do not share the Gospel with everyone I meet every day (but I desire to). I do however carry along Gospel tracts with me and pass them out to people I come in contact, restaurant employees, people walking, other drivers as I fill my gas tank, cashiers at stores etc.
Do you know who Kirk Cameron the actor from Growing Pains is? God graciously saved him and he has a ministry with a man named Ray Comfort. The have a TV show called Way of the Master where they teach biblical evangelism.
The website is http://www.wayofthemaster.com/
You should listen to a free audio called Hell's Best Kept Secret.
You said, "On behalf of those of us who share the same faith as this delusional woman, I apologize. Ugh."
If you are really a Christina, you would rejoice at the Gospel being proclaimed because it glorifies the God who graciously died to save you.
It is also not very loving of you to refer to someone as "delusional" especially when you know nothing about them.
Why should she even have to defend herself or respond to her blog and posted comments without all the information?
What if the father didn't want to keep the baby?
What if the father wanted her to adopt the baby?
What if the father had a drug problem?
What if the father is abusive?
What if the father was somehow involved in the death of the mother?
What if the father is incapable of raising a child?
God is sovereign over everything that happens, from the earthquake in Chile, to whoever is elected president to if and where any baby gets adopted to.
One last resource suggestion. A sermon titled Shocking Youth Message on people who invited Jesus into their hearts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cncEhCvrVgQ
Reading Galatations 2:20's posts reminds my of why I am soooo happy to be a non-christian.
ReplyDeleteAnd... what "maybe" just wrote is exactly why I do not choose to engage in the same type of "evangelism." It is truly not effective in this day and age.
ReplyDelete2:20, Have you read "UnChristian"? It is a great book put out by the Barna group about how modern day society views Christians. It talks about how people desire Christ, but not the Christ most of us deliver. The slam-bam approach just does not work. I have not heard of one person ever saved by a tract. And I am a member of a very, very evangelical church. It just doesn't work. But if this is how you choose to do it, it's up to you. I do not think the Bible outlines one correct way to lead people to Christ.
And as for the parable of the Rich Young Ruler... that was Christ speaking directly to him! I in no way believe that I am Christ. I do not come near to Him in His ability to draw people to Him.
Before I go... I know my above words will bring a quote of scripture of how Christ lives in us. Yes, He does. But that does not mean that we are Him.
Andi,
ReplyDeleteWas the apostle's evangelism effective in their age? All but one were martyred for sharing the Gospel. Should they have tried to share the "love" of Christ?
Maybe the Pharisees would have come to Jesus if He wasn't so harsh with them?
Jesus said to them "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean."
People don't like Christians because they hate the Jesus of the bible. The just judge of all the universe who is going to judge them for thought, word and action. The only Jesus unbelievers want is one who will overlook all of their sins, let them keep on living the way they have been living and give them their hearts desires. The bible teaches;
Romans 3:11 "no one understands; no one seeks for God."
John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day."
You said you go to a very, very evangelical church but you have two of Rob Bell's book listed as your favorites. The Gospel that the evangelical church teaches is opposite from the Gospel that Rob Bell teaches. The former can lead you to eternal life through Jesus Christ, the latter will lead you to Hell.
As a Christian, and an adoptive momma, I wanted you to know I came over here after reading Christina's post and your comments because I found your comments to be faith-filled, humble and loving. Thank you so much. Especially since our next-door neighbor and close friend is a widower - with twins - whom our family cares about a great deal.
ReplyDelete"What if the father didn't want to keep the baby?
ReplyDeleteWhat if the father wanted her to adopt the baby?
What if the father had a drug problem?
What if the father is abusive?
What if the father was somehow involved in the death of the mother?
What if the father is incapable of raising a child?"
From the original blog that all of these discussions have stemmed from, it seemed like the author was talking about the father in a positive light...in fact, she said, " I thought it would be best to give the baby's father a week or two to grieve and then discuss the possibility of us adopting." and "My husband was going over there that evening to give support to the father along with other family members."
That doesn't sound like she considered him abusive or a drug addict.
Of course the poor man would be overwhelmed with his grief..and yes, it would be difficult for him to care for an infant on his own..that's when the family and friends would typically step in to HELP him..not to start immediately thinking about who's going to adopt the baby less than 12 hours after the mother had died.
Perhaps it's because I am a Lutheran - Missouri Synod - who follows the belief of living through Grace, not by Law, that I find so much of the "preaching" from other Christians offensive.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read what was told to Christina and what Galatians has had to say here and in other blogs, my first response is, who are you to sit in judgement and preach to anyone? Are you not a sinner as well, born as the rest of us, with the same sinful soul? Do you not see the pride you carry in how "right" you are is a sin just as much as any other?
There are blogs, like Jenni's here, that I follow because there is the connection of a humble sinner who is listening and learning, finding common ground with other Christians in an ongoing quest to understand my faith and God.
I am poor in my knowledge of the scripture, I admit that freely, but I am rich in my belief of Jesus as my Savior, and I don't need, or desire, anyone to try and shove that down my throat with their righteous undertones of what a poor, worthless sinner I am while they stand on the pedestal of Grace in their "lessons" they believe they are meant to teach others.
In those who reign with their "fire and brimstone" they not only discourage others from ever finding the greatness of Christ, they also anger those who live in the Grace, believe no man has a right to preach worthiness of any kind onto another unless he is called to do so through God and through the designation of the cloth.
In my opinion, bringing others to God is done by actions, not words. It is a calling we live, not preach. One that directs us to reach out and help others, forgive them, as God has forgiven us, while remaining humble under the Grace we have been granted and the sins we all commit through our lives.
Sorry if I seemed MIA on my own blog today, but as a wife and a mom, I had a lot of people counting on me today and I just needed to prioritize. I have found it interesting to read the replies tonight, though...
ReplyDeleteGalatians, in all fairness to you, I checked out the links you provided. Yes, I knew about Kirk Cameron and his conversion, but I had never been to his website. I enjoyed some of what I read/watched. We are having some kind of disconnect here, though. You seem to be of the impression that I dislike sharing the gospel or witnessing to people... Or that I am ashamed of the gospel. I feel like you have not really acknowledged how I have explained myself or my heart for other people, but just responded with more ways of saying the same thing over and over. You keep going back to man's depravity and the gospel. And it kind of just demonstrates my point for me. I am not ashamed of the gospel in any way. It is a regular topic of conversation for me because it is not a segment of my life, it is the fabric of my life. But you are so focused on driving home your message that you have not really addressed any of the points brought up in the actual conversation. It is like deja vu with the whole Christina/Alicia conversation. :)
I DO want to address a couple of things you sprinkled throughout your responses, though. You seemed to be upset by my use of the word delusional on the other blog. Once again, you must consider context. If the definition of delusional is "A FALSE BELIEF STRONGLY HELD IN SPITE OF INVALIDATING EVIDENCE", then believing that it is appropriate to blog about your excitement over wanting to adopt a baby whose mother died that day and THEN going further to state that God orchestrated the woman's death for your gain - then yes, that is delusional. Desperation makes people think a lot of crazy things. Infertility is no different. I continue to be amazed at how sometimes people can rationalize these types of thoughts.
You mentioned that God is sovereign. If you have read any of my blog, you know that I talk about this fact quite a bit. :) I mean, I am in a very conservative presbyterian denomination. So if you know anything about presbyterians, you know I know a thing or two about God's sovereignty. (Trying to lighten the mood a little.) :) But if there is anything that is totally beaten to DEATH in the world of adoption - I mean worn so thin you can see through it - it is the theme that some people feel like God brings calamity on other people so that they can have their kids. I think it is VERY foolish to suppose that we know the mind of God regarding His purpose and intent. And I think it is really interesting and very telling that a person would care so little for the tragedy of this widower and his child and then in the next breath spend paragraph after paragraph trying to get someone to see that their soul is at peril? It is just so ironic. I mean, let's be frank.
The WHOLE point is that the conversation was about ADOPTION and how skewed Alicia's thinking was regarding the baby and God's orchestrating this woman's death for her gain, nevermind the fact that the woman died THAT day and had a husband, the baby's father. If I died tonight, would somebody expect to get their hands on my kids just because my husband would no longer have a stay-at-home-wife to take care of my children? Freaky! That is entitlement at its ugliest.
I don't buy any of that stuff about what if he was abusive or on drugs... That is TOTALLY grasping at straws here. Why can't we just be honest and say it was totally emotionally driven and focused on her desire to be a mother? There is nothing wrong whatsoever with having a longing to be a mom. It is a desire that is woven into most women. Who could possibly fault her for that? But the circumstances are just bizarre. And THAT was the topic of conversation. Not whether or not Christina is a Christian.
Galatians 2:20 I was surprised by your response to Jenni about what you would say to her if she only had 3 minutes to live.
ReplyDeleteI do not believe God will punish us for knowledge we do not have. I believe you need to have the opportunity to hear the gospel and live it (or not) before God will hold us accountable to that knowledge.
God is just and loving. I believe he will judge us by what is in our heart, not just our actions.
I too find it appalling that someone could even CONSIDER approaching a man who has just lost his wife about adopting his child. I do believe that God has a hand in providing a family for children who need one, but clearly God sent this child to the family he is in and unless the father expresses a need for a new one then the subject of adoption should not be approached.
I have read all the blogs in relation to this story and cannot even begin to understand the mindset of the original blogger. I learned how to embrace the Word of God and to act in manner that represented the Christian way. I learned that by the actions of my parents and their response would have been to open their hearts to both the father and the child and help the father in any way possible to facillitate him raising his child in his home. The Church would have joined in this effort but setting up a schedule comprised of members to assist in the care of the child and home while the father was working and supporting him in his time of loss. Sad to see a different form of Christianity where your wants and desires take priority over the needs of your brethren. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you comes to mind...
ReplyDeleteHere was my last reponse to the person who wrote the original blog. The blog was still open but only posting by team members was allowed. My response was far less respectful and eloquent than yours but it was the only thing I could think of to say:
ReplyDelete"I am writing to you because God moved me to. {GAG} I understand how much you want to have a child and how much you view this child as one who needs you. But can you stand back for a minute and see that even though this father is single and even though this isn't the family configuration you think is best, this child already has a family? What fizzy thing got into the water that said a widower was incapable of raising his own child? I can't ever remember my parents claiming such a thing and they supported the two-parent family as much as you do.
"Please just stand down and support this father. Ask yourself what Jesus would do in this situation. Ask yourself if you are being at all selfish. Even a little bit selfish. Because the extent to which you can omit yourself from this outcome and do what is not selfish is will be directly proportional to what God would want you to do. Even if you think it stinks.
"I'm a non-practising Christian and I'm surprised you need this very basic lesson in Christian ethics."