Sunday, March 14, 2010

The freedom to write...

I have not intended to have such a long intermission here on my blog.  I began breaking down my story a couple of weeks ago and intended to continue it a few days later.  But there have been some legitimate reasons to pause before hitting that "publish" button.  The biggest reason has been my hesitation to continue digging into painful things.  Don't get me wrong.  I am very much ready to talk about my adoption experience.  But if I talk about my experience, that means that I also speak of other people in my life... People who are of great worth to me... People I do not want to wound.  It means talking about family relationships and very personal details of our lives.  It means not only opening up myself to criticism, but possibly opening up my family and maybe some friends to criticism or misunderstanding.  The last thing I want to do with my blog is hurt other people.  I live with a lot of pain because of adoption, but that does not mean that I ever want to hurt others. 

The intent of my blog is not to be a sounding board for anger or sarcasm, but rather, I actually want to accomplish a few things. :) 

1) I want to get my story out there. 

2) I want to dispel stereotypes (good and bad) about adoption. 

3) I want to show people who have only thought about adoption in a simplified way that it is COMPLICATED.   But then I want to offer some solutions and some hope when the complexities seem too much to take in. 

4) I want people to see that my joy and my survival comes from my relationship with a tender and wise God who is sovereign, rather than a sovereign God who loves adoption in its contemporary form.  Big difference. 

5)  I want to help people understand more about the truth of adoption so that they can own their choices - whether they are a person considering relinquishment or a person considering adopting.  Guilt is a heavy cross to carry, and there is a lot that an agency will not tell you, nomatter which client you are and no matter if the agency has "Christian" in their name.

6)  I want to create a place for people to connect with others who can understand their experience.  I used to think I was crazy until I found the internet and connected with gobs of other people who had always thought THEY were crazy too.  And here's the cherry on top:  A "birthmother" who is a Christian, who believes in the sovereignty of God in all things, yet who believes that contemporary adoption needs serious reform?  Yep.  I'm that gal. :)  And I'm not the only one.  In fact, there are also quite a few adoptive parents who agree, not to mention many, many adoptees -  all people who are often dismissed as not spiritual enough or mature enough to see that adoption is all beautiful and biblical.  Well, not here.  This is a place of respectful, open dialogue.

7)  This last goal is very lofty, but let's just go for it anyway. :)  I want to effect change in a way that will make adoption more ethical and more like showing the love of Christ to others, rather than the status quo, which is finding babies for families under the guise of ministering to pregnant women.  When the chief client is the adoptive couple and the main goal is getting their fees, then things get really skewed.  This is not an easy thing to talk about, but we know that the paying client is the top client - even for a non-profit.  Can you imagine what would happen if the people the agencies cater to the most would put their foot down and say, "I can't work with you if you conduct business in this way?"  It would revolutionize contemporary adoption.  But you can't put your foot down about what you don't know.  So I'm going to start the conversation.  I hope those with the balance of power will listen compassionately.

I feel good about writing here, now.  I had a really wonderful conversation with my mom today.  As circumstance would have it, we were both home from church sick. :)  We ended up talking on the phone for a long time, and she divulged to me that she had found my blog.  Yeah, that would be major for me.  But the first words that followed that revelation were, "... and I just want to tell you that you are doing a great job and good for you."  I didn't expect that from her... not because she is not an affirming mom, but because we are talking about some serious stuff here.  We talked about many things and finally had to get off the phone after being on for waaaay too long.  Of course, there are some things that she sees differently.  But she understands that I am writing from my experience and not through her eyes.  And she is ok with that.  She "gets it".  She encouraged me to keep writing and to keep talking about the hard, important stuff.  I can't tell you how much relief it brings me.  It lifts a very large elephant off of my chest and puts a tiny spring in my step.  Because I love my mom. (I love you, Mom!)  I don't want to tell my story at the expense of anyone else.  But I also don't want to be quiet.  I expressed to her that my number one goal is to tell my story with truth and integrity.  And now that we have crossed the hurdle of even bringing up the blog, it opens up the door for more conversations and more sharing of perspectives.  It is the possibility of understanding one another better and bringing more healing to the situation.  We have been so close for a long time, but we usually have just skimmed the surface of adoption "stuff".  It's just not something we talk about very much, and I assume that is because it is very painful for both of us.  But now we have a really great start.

I am ready to get back to writing... to being able to express grief and hopes and the need for change in adoption.  Thanks for giving me that freedom, Mom.  I don't know of anything bigger you could have offered me right now, and I want you to know how much it means to me.

14 comments:

  1. That is great that your Mom gave you the freedom to feel better about writing, but how did she just find your blog. I am just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Love. You.

    Seriously. :)

    I'm glad you feel greater freedom to write here. Our goals very similar, and I have always been blessed by your writing and by "conversations" with you.

    Someday I gonna drive south and take you out for coffee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful that I found your blog! It is truly an answer to prayer! I lost my daughter to adoption 22 years ago and I have never met anyone who could understand how I felt until I came across your blog and some of the other ones linked to your page. Some of the exact words you and others have posted here have come out of my mouth before. You once responded to a post I had on bethany but I did not post again because I found no comfort on that site, but I remember your kind words so I looked you up and here you are! It is such a comfort to know that there are other women out there who know what I am going through! Hallelujah I might not be crazy after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthmothertalks... As to how my mom found my blog... She said she saw a link to it on another (not adoption-related) blog.

    Michelle... Anytime you want to get that cup of coffee, let me know! Of course we find out tomorrow if we are moving north, so maybe I'll be a bit closer to you. :) I saw on my reader that you have a new post, but when I click on your link it takes me to an old one. Did you delete your most recent post? It looked good from the first couple sentences I could see on my reader.

    Wordsmithk... So glad you found the blog. :) And you are not crazy for the feelings you have about your daughter. There are many of us out there. And there are many adoptees and adoptive parents who get it too. It is sad that there are so many of us, but it is good to find kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wordsmith - I'm glad you found Jenni's blog too. I'm sorry you're hurting.

    Jenni - I lived in Atlanta for a year. The move south was MICH nicer than the move north. That first year back we were cold! lol The summers are much nicer though. Kids actually play outside. I thought that summer in Atlanta was going to do me in.

    Yeah, I did have another post out there. I was having a Xena moment. I'm noticing something very specific, but it is serious enough that I want to be sensitive about how I address it. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't want to address it boldly, but I do want to sit with the Lord on it for a while first. I loooove knowing we can be fully armed as believers, and I love knowing I carry a sword, but I need to use it with wisdom not just take crazy swings. I don't know if I'm making sense to you. lol Mainly, it's an area that's greatly troubling me, but I know I need to handle it with wisdom, and that post didn't meet the mark. It might come back, or something like it, but only when I've excercized a bit more discernment before writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MUCH nicer, not MICH...and I'M gonna, from my first comment. Ugh, why can't we edit comments. I almost always have a mistake. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenni, I'm so glad you're in a good place with your writing, because yours is a story people need to hear! How awesome that your mom is so encouraging of it!

    Michelle, pick me up on the way south, okay? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! First, writing rocks! :) Second, it's awesome that you're clear and honest about your purposes (with yourself and your readers). I also think it's great to take a step back and reflect on WHY you want to blog. Sometimes it can become such a mess---but messes are made so that they can be sorted, digested, and reconfigured. So go for it! I heart you, friend, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post. As a first mom, I also know how painful it can be to talk adoption with my own mom. Not just for me but, like you said, for both of us. I'm glad you and your mom have had a chance to talk and that you can both understand that you will see things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenni,
    I'm delurking for a moment. I've been wanting to write to you, but haven't, at the risk of sounding a little "out there". :) I just want to thank you for your blog, I have learned so much! I'm on the other side of adotption. Before our struggles with infertility my husband and I have always talked about adoption. Fortunately, we were able to conceive our beautiful daughter but adoption was and still is on my (our) heart. At this time we're not sure what to pursue or even if we will, so we've not decided on international/domestic or have even contacted an agency. While doing some research on domestic adoptions I decided to look for birth mom blogs first because I'm trying to learn evertyhing I can. Yes, I do want to grow our family but never at the expense of someone being lied to or as the result of deceitful business practices. To me, it's simply not worth it, I couldn't do that to another person. I also didn't think that adoption was so simple. I really appreciate the blogs that I've found. I think it's good to learn about the different experiences. It still leaves me with more questions but I think I'm also left with a lot of guidance on what to look out for and what not to do :) Sorry, I'm rambling. The point is - thank you! thank you! I really have learned so much here. You have helped to me see all sides of adoption and I really appreciate it! I'd like to continue to follow your story and I truly wish you all the best!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adoption needs to be reformed and only the adoptive parents can achieve this.

    Please consider asking your mom to do a post with you structured as an interview with questions answered by both you and your mom as I think the world needs to understand that the child loses not only their mother and father but their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and the flip side loses the grandchild, niece, nephew, cousin...

    Keep doing what you are doing and it will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenni, Nice post! I think that honest, smart posts like this one will help open peoples' minds and start us on the road to adoption reform.
    Thanks,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandy said...
    "Adoption needs to be reformed and only the adoptive parents can achieve this."

    I agree that reform in adoption needs to happy, but I strongly disagree that only adoptive parents can achieve this. That is simply much too much pressure and responsibility to put on adoptive families. Potential adoptive parents can certainly do their part. But agencies need to do their part. Birthmothers who have been through adoption need to do their part also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am one who is very thankful for your writing and your blog.

    For me, one of the hardest challenges I have faced is in my Faith and relating that to my adoption experience.

    I don't have the knowledge in scripture and so I sometimes feel like I am muddling my way through all this.

    But your words and your story have helped me so often in the past and I am so grateful I found you.

    And as for you mom reading your blog, mine just recently read mine as well. I was a bit worried to finally lead her to it but, just as she always tends to do, her words were perfect and encouraged me to keep on doing what I do.

    ReplyDelete